9.13.2011

a loaded question

"Do you ever hate Ken?" Isabella had asked her friend Mary a couple of weeks ago. They were getting manicures on a Wednesday night after work and the question just came out. Ken was Mary's new boyfriend, a nice guy who made all of their friends comment, "Oh, there he is. That's what she's been waiting for," as if finding your perfect match was a guarantee as long as you were patient enough.

Mary raised her eyebrows and looked closely at a nail she'd just smudged.

"Hate him?" she asked.

"Yeah. Hate him." Isabella said. "The other night I looked at Harrison and I just...I don't know."

"I don't know if I ever hate him," Mary said. "But he sure bugs the living fuck out of me sometimes." 

* * * * * * 

A laugh-out-loud moment where I found myself nodding at my book and to myself on the subway. It was refreshing that I never had to say this out loud but someone else did and even took the time to write it into a book. Do you ever look at those around you, the ones you love and think, "What the hell am I doing hanging around with this person?" Yeah well me too, almost every other day.

(Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close)

No comments:

Post a Comment