5.18.2011

flight risk

It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how excited or how wonderful the trip ahead of me is, about a week before I am set to leave I get in my head that if I get on the plane, something terrible will happen. I'm not scared of planes, trains, cars, etc. It's being unavailable for a period of time when they make you turn your phones off and knowing that to get back to wherever I need to be will take much more time and effort that I might not be capable of given the situation.

From my travels (which are not plenty) I've realized that I am one of those terrible itinerary people. I need to know where, when, how and why for all actions leading up for me to get on the plane, train or car. This was a problem a few years ago when I was heading to Killington, Vermont for a ski weekend where I was left without my answers. What was supposed to be a relaxing, stress-free birthday trip, left me with extreme anxiety and a miniature explosion from my boyfriend at the time who boasted, "Why can't you just let me handle it?"

So now, a week out of leaving for Charleston, South Carolina for Memorial Day the excessive list making and planning begin. Let me share with your some of the humorous steps I will go through: I will obsessively charge my phone, ipod and kindle. I will list of every item I need to bring and access which are deemed "southern appropriate." I will completely lose my appetite three days before my flight and live on coffee alone. I will read and re-read my plane itinerary 50 times convincing myself that I booked the wrong time or place. It's absolutely embarrassing but I've come to learn that I can't do anything but help balance out the stress with a good dose of humor. I know I'm ridiculous but at least I can laugh at myself.

2 comments:

  1. You're such a goofball :) I have to admit, I have similar moments when traveling. Especially when flying! However, my most awful personal travel trait, is my ability to consistently over-pack every time I go somewhere.

    Have fun in Charleston! Any particular reason you chose there as your destination? My dad lives in Charleston, and I'll actually be heading down myself in the middle of June for Father's Day and his birthday.

    Sad to hear you won't be around NY Memorial Day weekend though. I'm planning a visit, but it looks like I'll actually be up again the following weekend, June 3rd. Hope to see you really soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be fine Toni , I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete