7.28.2011

summer sips

Two Christmas holiday's ago I was inspired by a friend's homemade irish liquor which was gifted to me. He and his girlfriend have been making the liquor since their first Christmas together with the recipe steaming from their family's backgrounds in Ireland. The blend was absolutely divine and I instantly started wondering how I could put my own spin on the idea. Since summer is one of my favorite seasons in the city, I was influenced by all the fresh fruit in my local grocery market. I found this simple recipe and have been meaning to share it for some time now. The raspberries I used can be replaced with just about anything. Note that I am absolutely not a fan of typical flavored vodka but this recipe flavors it in a way that is perfect with just a splash of soda or additional juice over ice. I am going to prep blueberries and strawberries this weekend. Recipe below & cheers!

Materials
large stock pot

spatula

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups water

1 whole bag fresh raspberries

4 cups reasonable vodka

food processor (you can do this by hand with a knife without an issue)
cheesecloth (you can also use a coffee filter, see below)

large very clean glass bottle or steeping jar with lid

4-6 or more small decorative bottles with lids to hold the finished liqueur (only if you are giving these as gifts)

Instructions
1. Pour water and sugar in large stock pot over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves and water looks clear. Let cool.
2. Place raspberries in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add to the cooled sugar water and then add vodka. Stir. If you don't have a food processor just mince up the raspberries by hand, I did this myself and it worked fine.
3. Pour into large steeping jar or bottle. Seal and store in cool dark place. Steep for 2 to 3 weeks, shaking every other day. (I put mine in the back of our kitchen closet)
4. Pour mix through strainer to separate solids. Using cheesecloth will remove more impurities. You can also use a coffee filter!
5. Use funnel to pour into small individual bottles, tie ribbon around the fun red liqueur and voila! Makes 4-8 gifts depending on bottle sizes. Cost is about $5 to $10 dollars per gift depending on vodka and individual bottle cost.
Other fruit options include but are not limited to: vanilla bean, simply slice in half and place in storing. I recommend steeping this a month. Orange or lemon peel (avoid rind). The bottles store for one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment