8.08.2011

survivor island


Whenever word reaches me that someone is leaving the city the response is always the same. My eyes squint, my forehead wrinkles and my expression is pure confusion. Why? Maybe it's that I'm so wrapped up in the magic of New York City that I can't imagine why one would leave. Then planning begins and everyone rushes around for dinner and drinks with that person because leaving the city is like leaving the planet. Hurry! We have to have dinner, I probably won't ever see or hear from you again! I forget that emails and phone calls exist and that once you leave the city, you are always able to move back or at the least, visit.

Leaving the city means leaving conveniences behind. Being able to be chauffeured around in a cab, order in food, laundry and alcohol and mostly have anything you need at a drop of a hat and a messenger fee. New Yorkers live in excess. We work too much, drink too much, don't sleep enough, are obsessed with being at the latest and greatest restaurants and clubs, run marathons because it's trendy and act uninterested at celebrity sightings because, "Who are they anyway, they probably live in L.A. full-time." All of this makes me wonder why exactly I stay. I was born and raised in the country with a go-getter and do-for-yourself attitude. This may be the exact reason I've survived so long though. Being able to live amongst these high-strung, high-energy and sometimes just high New Yorkers all while staying level-headed might stem from my low-key upbringing. All I know for now is that if you are leaving please let me know so I can run around planning drinks and dinners with you because you're leaving my little safe island and going into the big, scary world.


This post is dedicated to Jes. She came and conquered and is now off to rule the rest of the world, best wishes and hope to see you soon. xx

2 comments:

  1. "...once you leave the city, you are always able to move back..." amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. replica bags hermes from this source l3l55n0j19 best replica ysl bags check that h2d06d0a70 replica bags from china replica bags lv read the article d3w43i5f40 Louis Vuitton fake Bags replica bags paypal d2g08x6i76

    ReplyDelete