8.17.2011

speak the truth, even if your voice shakes


I've learned so many things by moving out of my small town in Pennsylvania. Things that have lifted me up and things that have let me down but most of all, how to deal with both. While I truly believe everyone deals with their problems differently, the core to everyone's internal struggle may be that we lie to ourselves. It's hard to take ourselves outside of our own situations to realize what is happening and how to find the solution. Acknowledging a problem or a bad habit to yourself is beyond difficult. Assessing the problem and dealing with it yourself is almost impossible. In New York, I'd say more often than not, our friends, coworkers, bosses and significant others see therapists for this exact reason. It takes complete strangers to get to the root of the problem. But why can't we do this ourselves? I refuse to spend money on something I am sure I can do myself which is why I've developed my own therapy session with myself as both the patient and the therapist.

Whenever I'm feeling especially down over anything; friends, family, work, significant others, etc. I do a simple trick, I speak the truth to myself. I know this sounds simple and a bit crazy but have you ever openly spoken the dead truth about a problem your facing? 9 times out of 10 you know what the solution is. The problem is the solution is often harder than ignoring the issue itself, it's not your ideal situation and is inconvenient and messy. Before you can admit your wrong doings to anyone else, it's a good idea to admit them to yourself. Unhappy with a friend? Say it out loud. Ask yourself why. Ask yourself how. Ask yourself when this started and how you see it ending. The most important thing about this is saying it out loud. Be completely honest. You'll probably cry but you might start to realize where it stemmed from. You'll feel a ton better and begin to organize your thoughts. You'll begin to heal.

While I fully understand that this isn't for everyone, it really has helped me. Lay down, sit on the sofa, go for a walk and find a good spot in the park, say it in the shower, whatever works for you. But once you are fully 100% honest with yourself, all those knowing truths inside you will come out and you'll be able to begin the process and be able to assess whatever you're dealing with more responsibly, all beginning with realizing you're responsible for yourself.

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you think, girl. This is awesome. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're is the contraction for 'you are'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! This was a very inspiring message. I am going to try and do this for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete