8.19.2011

moving on, moving out

In March of 2007 I arrived in New York City for my interview with a company called Ceci New York. One summer internship and three years later, I find myself saying goodbye to my first design job and all the people who I've grown so close to. The photo above was taken by my mom moments before that first interview for my summer internship. You can clearly see my nerves as I clutch my ice tea and barely smile. I remember being on such a roller coaster of emotions. Excitement, curiosity, nervousness but most of all, pure terror. What if they laughed at my work? What if they told me to get out and never come back? The "they" turned out to be Senior Designer Drew Brockington and Founder/Creative Director Ceci Johnson. They did neither such thing. They carefully went through my portfolio, asked me about my background, my interests and took me through the Ceci New York design process in-brief. I came back as a full-time designer July 2008 after my college graduation. I've been able to work on projects from comedian Lisa Lampanelli's wedding invitation (who is a really, really sweet woman contrary to belief), Australian online shopping brand BlackRag and was even in a CeciStyle shoot as an extra (that's me on the left with the one shoulder pink dress).

The last day has been bittersweet so far. Being both sad to go and excited to begin something new has left me in limbo for the past two weeks. I do think as a creative person it's time to throw myself into something completely different and new. It will challenge everything I've known for the past few years and make me flip, reinvent and change the way I design. I still feel much like the person in the photograph being on the verge of fainting as I finish up my last day. But here's to change, something fresh and new and a great big thank you and I love you to everyone here at Ceci New York.

2 comments:

  1. we love you toni! Keep in touch and come back soon. You will be missed tremendously. xCeci

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..... that was the sweetest post. You will be a rock star in all that you do! Best of luck in the next phase of your career. xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete