6.02.2011

guac-a-mole-me

While in sunny Charleston, South Carolina over Memorial Day weekend, I celebrated a good friend's birthday. Her mum took her out for a 2 hour shopping trip so all of us visiting were able to get to the market and prep for the surprise party. I contributed with fresh guacamole which turned out better than I had anticipated. I went out on a whim having that this was the first time I was making it from scratch. I doubled the recipe since I was making it for a party of 10. It took 30 minutes (mostly because I was eating and talking between) and came out delish! I think I'm going to make another batch this weekend to enjoy in the park.

Ingredients
2 ripe avocados
1/2 red onion
1/2 tomato
1-2 serrano chilies or jalapeƱos
1 lime
2 tablespoons of cilantro leaves
coarse salt to taste
fresh grated black pepper to taste

Cut the avocados in half and remove the seed. Scoop avocado from peel. Usually I cut up the avocado into small pieces to make mashing easier. Place in mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Chop your onion, tomato and cilantro leaves, add to avocado. Remove the stems and seeds from your chilies or jalapeƱos and dice up. Add to mixing bowl to taste. Be sure to taste as you go so that you don't make it too spicy! Add salt and pepper to taste. Cut your lime in half and squeeze both halves into mixing bowl. Most of the recipe is done to taste because your fresh ingredients will vary. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment