12.29.2010

what'll it be?

I'm always envious when in a movie, there is a perfectly stocked bar in an apartment. Would you like a nightcap? Done. Would you prefer a gin or vodka martini? Tada. So this post is a simple list of how to easily stock your own personal bar with the essentials. The list was taken from a few blogs, additional websites and my own minimal bartending knowledge. There were a lot of hardware items I've left off, I hardly use a cocktail shaker but I figured this may be useful for others. I also didn't include any juices because none of my friends or I use them as mixers. Tonic and club soda fly fine with us but make your own amends and of course comments and tips are always welcome and encouraged! Cheers!

Hardware:
If you want to measure out your cocktails a really great set of hardware can be purchased here. I'm more accustom to free pouring which breaks down to a count per 1/4 oz.

Standard Shaker - Metal is best. The shakers with rubber for 'better grip' just stick and become more of a mess than anything.
Corkscrew - Go with an original design and nothing fancy. Odds are you're going to break up the cork with anything special and who wants cork with their wine, not me!

Spirits:
A bottle or so of each. If you drink more of one than another, double up on that and do a small bottle of the others. No need to overstock, no one (in Manhattan anyway) has extra room.

Vodka, Gin, Bourbon, Tequila, Whiskey, Scotch or Rye and Rum - light or dark, your choice of poison

Liqueurs:
Cointreau/Triple Sec - Depending on what you want to pay
Dry Vermouth/Sweet Vermouth - Depending on how you drink your martinis

Wine:
Again this depends on your personal taste. We drink more red than white but it's good to have both for company.

Other:
Simple Syrup, Grenadine - Rose's is my personal favorite, Lemon Juice, Lime Juice - Again, Rose's it's the best!, Tonic, Club Soda, Martini Olives, Maraschino cherries and Coarse Salt

No comments:

Post a Comment