2.15.2011

cuba in february

It seems to be a bit of a trend here for my weekends to end up at specialized, themed restaurants and bars. This past Saturday was spent tucked away in the lower east side of Manhattan at the rum social club, Cienfuegos. I was turned on to the spot by my roommate's boyfriend, Tom. So we climbed into a cab and off we went. Greeted by a life-size Virgin Mary bronze fountain, stadium wall seats and swanky bartenders, I felt like I was transported to Cuba in the mid summer. After a quick "Brooklynite" at the bar, a smooth mix of honey, rum and lime, we went upstairs to our table to enjoy a Isla Punch bowl and Cuban hors d'oeuvres. Not only were the drinks and food absolutely wonderful, the decor of the place was out of a dream. From the owners of Death & Co and Mayahuel, this place is another hit. Like Pravda, the door is strict so arrive early (no reservations taken) and know that this place is worth the wait. I can't wait to go back!

1 comment: