2.23.2011

white out

Finding a balance between white space and information is a daily design problem that needs solving. A recent project involved putting together a look book for a new fashion brand out of New York. The photography is beautiful, the models are exotic and stunning and the clothing is detailed and tailored to a 'T'. The only problem is the communication and explanation of why white space is necessary and vital for the line to speak clearly to the viewer. Pulling the viewers eye back and forth, across and up, and back again to the center. I've learned that explaining white space to a non design mind is like teaching Portuguese to a three year old. So what to do; sacrifice the book and my design knowledge or try to politely explain that I know what I'm doing, again. I wouldn't climb across an accountant's desk and try to tell them how to do their job. So please, don't climb across mine via email. Trust me, I won't let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment