4.25.2011

the wave

The ocean is in constant motion. The surface of the ocean is pushed by the wind which creates movement at different speeds. As the air tumbles forward and the ocean moves to and fro, a circular motion is created. The downward and upward pressure cause a wave to form. The back of the wave tumbles forward but beneath the crest, the water moves towards the back to continue the cycle and to create a new wave.

If relationships are the ocean, it's only a matter of time until they build up and tumble forward. The wedding wave seems to be breaking all around me. Every time I blink it seems someone new is getting engaged and then married. Friends, friends-of-friends, family, family-through-friends. At 25 I can hardly accomplish half of what I need to in a weekend let alone plan a wedding and organize engagement, rehearsal and bachelor-type events. When did we grow up? When did these flings and boyfriends become fiancées and (pause) husbands? I can't help but feel like I'm being pulled by the undertow. You know that feeling when you're swimming out and suddenly you're a quarter of a mile away from where you started. You panic, you look for your friends, your towel, anything that looks familiar but the truth is, you're on a whole other beach.

I find it most amusing that I never ride out the waves in the ocean but dive beneath them. How many waves can you dive under until one comes alone so strong and powerful that it sweeps you up? When will I get tired of going against the current? How many waves will pass until one brings me back to shore?

I'm optimistic that as this wedding wave breaks, that there are plenty more waves to come. Some that I'll dive beneath, some that may pull me under and toss me back up and one that will push me safely back to shore. I may end up on another part of the beach all together but when I do, I'll make it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment