4.26.2011

the naked truth


Charlotte: I didn't grow up in a naked house.
Carrie: Well I didn't either.
Charlotte: {looking towards a naked woman in the locker room} I bet she grew up in a naked house.
Carrie: She might still live in a naked house.

"Sex and the City, Attack of the five foot ten woman"

Living in a city where roommates are a norm to break down the cost of rent, you learn to live along side other people's habits. Dishes in the sink, singing in the shower, sleep schedules, etc. But can nudity be grouped within this category or is it something all together separate? With the understanding that there are many situations that may change the opinion about this, take my own for instance. I live with a woman my own age. Someone I knew in college but wasn't exceptionally close with. Out of the two of us, I am the noted "naked roommate." Being scatterbrained and doing several things at once usually means I'm part getting ready, part on the phone, part eating and part trying to get dressed. I'm clumsy too, add this to the equation. I drop foundation daily which splatters all over the sink and usually onto myself. I catch my shirt and necklace in my hair brush when I blow dry my hair. I can't possibly put curlers in without burning my scalp and sweating to death from the unbearable heat. I feel comfortable walking around half dressed when I'm getting ready or say my self tanner is setting in but does this mean it's acceptable? Not always. I know that my lack of clothing doesn't offend my roommate but what if it did? How would that make me feel? When it comes to nudity, why are some of us more comfortable than others?

Is it sibling related; having brothers vs. sisters? Is it location specific; growing up in a warm vs. cold environment? Or is it religion and moral specific? For me it comes down to being comfortable with myself. Everyone has things they would like to change or improve upon but this understanding seems to even out the field. I think my opinion would change if I lived with someone who was less thrilled by my mindless nudity. (For the record I am usually in a bra and underwear out of respect!) Where do you yourself draw the line? Are you the naked roommate/housemate? Or are you the one shielding your eyes as your roommate bares all? Comments welcome :)

1 comment:

  1. Maybe its expontential to the amount of time you spend in a locker room or just the sport you play? I remember a lot of skin from Kats days. Hehe..
    But ultimately I believe its about comfortability with yourself and nakedness combined.
    Keep writing Toni, you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete